Keema kaleji is one of the many Mutton recipes dad used to make on a regular basis. His Sunday morning ritual of going to the local butcher shop, getting the best cuts of meat and then spending the morning frying the masala till perfection is till fresh in my mind. Oil and spices were lavishly used and no compromises were made in terms of time or ingredients to make the rich curries.
Keema Kaleji is basically Mutton mince and livers cooked in a spicy Indian style curry. A masala of onion, tomato and spices is made and then mutton mince and livers are added to it. It can be enjoyed with either rice or any Indian bread. Here is the recipe to make Keema Kaleji
All you need is
- Oil - 4 tbsp
- Black cardamom - 3-4
- Onion - 1 and 1\2 cup ( finely chopped )
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Tomato puree - 3 tbsp
- Coriander powder - 3 tsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1\2 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1\2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mutton mince \ Keema - 300 g
- Mutton Liver \ Kaleji - 200 g
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Fresh coriander for garnishing
Recipe of Keema Kaleji
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add crushed black cardamom.
- Fry for 20 seconds.
- Add onion and fry till slightly browned.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and fry till onions are nicely browned.
- Add tomato puree and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, kashmiri red chili powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder.
- Fry for 2- 3 minutes.
- Add little water if required.
- Add keema and salt and fry on high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water and simmer the heat to low.
- Cover and cook the keema on low heat for 20-25 minutes.
- Add kaleji and again cover and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Adjust water as required.
- Add lemon juice and cook for a minute.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with rice or phulke.